Monday, September 27, 2010

Grab yer shootin' irons, boys!

Posted on Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Somebody called the cops in Coeur d'Alene today to report shots fired. Or hooked, sliced or shanked, perhaps.

The crime? The daily scanner report posted at Huckleberries Online reads thusly:

12:28 p.m. Someone on a house boat is hitting golf balls from the deck onto the floating green at the Coeur d’Alene Resort golf course.

Outlaws! Cads! Hey ... what iron you use for that?

Perhaps this is a little insurrection from the commoners, intended to beard Resort mogul Duane Hagadone, who exploded an estimated 900 shells over the lake the other night to cap a little party he was hosting for millionaires [and even 10 billionaires] who came to his little lake cabin for a board meeting of the Horatio Alger Association. The guest list is said to have included Wayne Huizenga (who flew in on his personal Boeing 737 with the Miami Dolphins logo on the tail), Warren Buffett, Oprah and Kenny Rogers.

We called Maj. Ben Wolfinger of the Kootenai County Sheriff's Office to see if there is any sort of a crime here. If not, we suspect houseboat rentals may spike.

"There would be littering, if you are leaving things on someone else's property. There is trespass ... and if there is anybody on the floating green there could be assault," Wolfinger says.

Shades of Gerald Ford! Wolfinger reports that Sgt. Matt Street of the marine division took the sheriff's boat out onto the lake and told the offenders to move along.

Tags: , ,

MORNING HEADLINES: Osama loves Facebook

Posted on Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 9:06 AM

The Fall of Fall Because summer rules! Even during the first week of autumn. Ha. Forecasters say it's going to be in the high 70s today and all the way through the weekend. (SR)

Crime heat wave I'm not trying to connect the dots or anything, but they say criminals get all antsy in the heat. Well, it was warm this weekend and a Spokane Valley car lot was robbed for the ninth time this year. And guess what? The owner's pissed. "We've been broken into nine times. Mercedes has been stolen. This is the second time a vehicle's rims and tires have been stolen on the point and I know that the owner is livid about the fact this is happening," employee Clifford Goldsmith told KREM.

iSpokane And for those of you who don't care about Apple, you probably didn't care that an Apple store opened in downtown Spokane! People lined up overnight! T-shirts were given away! Apple made a ton of cash! (KXLY)

Uncle Sam is watching you! And finally, if you're reading this, so is the government, right over your shoulder. It turns out the Obama administration plans on increasing online surveillance, for emails, Facebook activity and more. Because, you know, terrorists love to update their Facebook accounts about where they will strike next. (Atlantic Wire)

Tags: ,

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Why fiddle-shredding is like watching Alegria

Posted on Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Drummers twirl their drumsticks. Rock stars shred their guitars. Philippe Quint waggles his fingers while sawing away on his fiddle.  He's a rock star on violin.

OK, so normally you wouldn't much care about a 36-year-old guy playing a a two-centuries' old showpiece by some Italian named Paganini (even if his 302-year-old violin, heard live, creates sounds better than any stereo system you've ever heard).

But if you had been at the Fox this weekend for Quint's encore, you'd have been shaking your head and grinning along with everyone else. Quint played double-stops and arpeggios out the wazoo, then attacked with his bow while waggling his left-hand fingers in the air, then continued to playing multiple notes while using his bow hand, playfully, to wipe his brow.

Just because he can. Just like a hero in a rock 'n' roll band.

(And even if you don't know anything about playing a violin, you smile because you can just tell that he's doing something remarkable. I don't know anything about gymnastics, either -- but at Alegria, you shake your head in disbelief that anyone can do what they do ... even if you don't completely understand it.)

Tags: , ,

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Jess Walter scores!

Posted on Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 3:35 PM

In the Oct. 1 issue of Entertainment Weekly, "The Bullseye" ("pop culture news that was right on target this week"), the paperback release of The Financial Lives of the Poets lost out to The Scarlet Letter.

Well, actually, to a movie parody of the Nathaniel Hawthorne novel that they made you read in high school -- namely, Easy A, starring Emma Stone.

That's pretty high-falutin' literary company. Walter's novel was closer to the center of our collective pop-culture consciousness than any other item on the chart. (Though we admit that when the periphery is occupied by the likes of La (hiccup) Lohan and that empty-suit-full-of-snoot from Project Runway, Tim Gunn, it must not be that difficult a target to hit.)

And if all that isn't enough to persuade you to pick up a copy of Walter's funny satiric novel, then check out the additional material in the back, where Luke Baumgarten's Inlander cover story on Walter appears.

Tags: ,

Lacy Downtown 9/11

Posted on Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 9:55 AM

I came outside with some friends leaving Dolce's bar, wearing a Subaru Block shirt. You poked fun at it, my friends & your friends started talking & you said you like Subaru's & we started talking. All I got was your name, you said you wanted a ride but never came with. Then saw you at c-side when I parked, but you disappeared. Unfortunately I was a little buzzed to really pay attention. I really wanted to talk to you more and get to know you. Can we start over? Email: [email protected]

The Grace Clinic

Posted on Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I saw you at the clinic where you work. You gave me my TB test. You're honestly the most beautiful thing I've ever laid my eye's on. I am a sucker for dark hair and dark eyes. You took my breath away. I hope you see this. Email: [email protected] or post on I Saw You, I'll be checkin' it.

Valley Yokes

Posted on Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Fri., Sept. 17th, I was the guy that couldn't stop staring at you as I walked by you in the candy aisle. You were the beautiful blonde who couldn't decide what you wanted. Almost had the guts to say something but chickened out. I've got a bit of a sweet tooth myself. I'll be waiting by the candy.

Plasma Girl

Posted on Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM

We were talking about how you have never gotten an "I Saw You" in the Inlander before. Cheers, wish granted.

Comcast Cable

Posted on Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM

I saw you 9/15 about 1pm. I was number 90, black hat on backward & brown Friday the 13th Jason t-shirt. You came in shortly after me. You had brown hair, was wearing sunglasses & had a tiger tattoo on your left shoulder & a Chinese symbol below your ankle. You sat by me, we exchanged a few glances & a good one when I left. You have beautiful eyes! Are ya single? Wanna make a new friend?  [email protected]

Rosauer's On 29th

Posted on Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM

You were the pulchritudinous deli-girl. I was the one with the eyes screaming intentions of spending the rest of my life with you. Meet me at the old 'Blvd' on October 11th, at 6:00?

Today | Mon | Tue | Wed | Thu | Fri | Sat
Oktoberfest at The River

Oktoberfest at The River @ Spokane Convention Center

Sun., Sept. 25, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.