Monday, February 25, 2013

The first weekend of Spokane Restaurant Week, in tweets and pictures

Posted By on Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 11:20 AM

It’s Spokane’s first-ever Restaurant Week, so can we all agree, for the time being, to suspend the snarky stereotypes of posting photos of food on social media? Sure, it’s got the requisite Tumblr and McSweeney’s lampoon — hell, the New York Times was already on it like, back before @NYTOnIt existed — but forget all of that.

During Spokane Restaurant Week, we actually are curious to see and hear about what you’re eating, so here’s a roundup of some of the tweets, photos and stories so far. If you’re going out this week, dine and tell with the hashtag #SpokaneRW.

Tags: ,

MORNING BRIEFING: Man dies at county jail, Oscars and horsemeat in meatballs

Posted By on Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Here

An uncooperative man dies at the county jail over the weekend after being tased and restrained. (S-R)

A body was found in a ditch along a remote road near Medical Lake. (KHQ)

Police are seeking information about a shooting near the Logan neighborhood this morning, since both shooter and victim left the scene. (SPD)

Talk of a state insurance exchange dominates town hall in Coeur d’Alene. (Cda Press)

Elsewhere

The horsemeat scandal extends to IKEA meatballs, which is apparently a very popular dish at their stores in Europe. (NYT)

Afghanistan’s president surprised NATO leaders by demanding troops leave Wardak Province. (WaPo)

The BP trial over the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill begins today. (Reuters)

An Ohio man found Jesus in the bird droppings on his windshield. (Newsnet 5 via Gawker)

Ben Affleck might have been “snubbed” in the director category, but it turned out to be his night at the Oscars after all. (Boston Globe)

And my whole Twitter feed agreed that Seth MacFarlane was a terrible host and Anne Hathaway’s acceptance speech was terrible. I don’t know if everyone loved the puppy purse carried by 9-year-old star Quvenzhané Wallis, but I'll assume they did. (E!)

Tags: , ,

Saturday, February 23, 2013

At The Car Wash

Posted on Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

To all you drug dealers and your customers- it's funny how sneaky you think
you are being every time you come through my car wash to do your
transactions, but truthfully you stick out like a sore thumb and I can spot
you a mile away. You may have gotten away with it today, but trust me when
I tell you that you all get reported each and every time. Oh, and don't
forget to smile for our cameras!

Prank

Posted on Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

To the clever prankster who pulled the little plastic hole thingy out of
the Tabasco bottle at the Satellite Diner, You got me! I dumped 2
tablespoons on my over-easy eggs and hash browns. But the burn is on you,
because I like it like that.

Staying Connected

Posted on Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Cheers to our neighbor who put anonymous valentines in our mailbox on
V-Day! I feel warm knowing that there are people in my neighborhood still
making an effort to be connected in the old-fashioned way (that is, without
iPhones or laptops). Keep it up! Your kind note has earned a sacred place
on our refrigerator!

Do Not Judge

Posted on Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

To the 2-3 girls in the SFCC math lab computer station on 2/12. I saw you
and over heard your gossip. You were talking about some girls life choices
and the way some girls dress, especially in summer where some choose to
wear more revealing clothing. I think it's ironic you were talking about a
girl making certain choices with her partner and how her bad decisions
make "good Christians" look bad when ironically you are the ones who make
Christians look bad. Being judgmental and gossiping, shame on you for you
were breaking one of the ten commandments (Luke 6:37 Thou Shalt Not Judge!)
not the girl who choose to wear short shorts or be intimate with her
partner. You are the ones who make Christians look bad...kudos!

Dear Saeed

Posted on Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

don't despair. God is with you and applauds your courage. God bless you and
your family. Always.

Ramada Inn

Posted on Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I saw you back in January on Saturday the 19th in the lobby. It was early
morning and I commented how beautifull it was outside. The sunrise was soft
rose and peach and the trees were covered in ice crystals. You and the
clerk chuckled at me, because after all it was 20 degrees out there. You
looked my way when I left the hotel, so I thought I'd see if you read this,
and if you're not already spoken for, send a note here next week.

You Are Amazing

Posted on Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

You're beautiful, ever so sexy, lovely, amazing, spectacular, thoughtful, a
great mother, an amazing lover, and a big part of my future. I thank you
for dealing with my SH&! as much as you do. I can't wait to get married and
have more babies. You amaze me everyday. I could never say in any words how
much you mean to me. Thanks for being amazing babe. I love you Jess. Ben

Local Music Promotion

Posted on Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Jeers to the Editor/Writer who deem it necessary to do write ups and
promote an already signed, nationally known bands show. Instead of showing
support for the Local Music Scene, which does not have the backing of a
National Booking Agent who will have them playing here again in 6 months.
Shame, Support Local Music!

Today | Fri | Sat | Sun | Mon | Tue | Wed