Monday, February 25, 2013

The first weekend of Spokane Restaurant Week, in tweets and pictures

Posted By on Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 11:20 AM

It’s Spokane’s first-ever Restaurant Week, so can we all agree, for the time being, to suspend the snarky stereotypes of posting photos of food on social media? Sure, it’s got the requisite Tumblr and McSweeney’s lampoon — hell, the New York Times was already on it like, back before @NYTOnIt existed — but forget all of that.

During Spokane Restaurant Week, we actually are curious to see and hear about what you’re eating, so here’s a roundup of some of the tweets, photos and stories so far. If you’re going out this week, dine and tell with the hashtag #SpokaneRW.

Tags: ,

MORNING BRIEFING: Man dies at county jail, Oscars and horsemeat in meatballs

Posted By on Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Here

An uncooperative man dies at the county jail over the weekend after being tased and restrained. (S-R)

A body was found in a ditch along a remote road near Medical Lake. (KHQ)

Police are seeking information about a shooting near the Logan neighborhood this morning, since both shooter and victim left the scene. (SPD)

Talk of a state insurance exchange dominates town hall in Coeur d’Alene. (Cda Press)

Elsewhere

The horsemeat scandal extends to IKEA meatballs, which is apparently a very popular dish at their stores in Europe. (NYT)

Afghanistan’s president surprised NATO leaders by demanding troops leave Wardak Province. (WaPo)

The BP trial over the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill begins today. (Reuters)

An Ohio man found Jesus in the bird droppings on his windshield. (Newsnet 5 via Gawker)

Ben Affleck might have been “snubbed” in the director category, but it turned out to be his night at the Oscars after all. (Boston Globe)

And my whole Twitter feed agreed that Seth MacFarlane was a terrible host and Anne Hathaway’s acceptance speech was terrible. I don’t know if everyone loved the puppy purse carried by 9-year-old star Quvenzhané Wallis, but I'll assume they did. (E!)

Tags: , ,

Saturday, February 23, 2013

ShopKo Guy

Posted on Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Tuesday, February 12th, at around 1:00 you were doing something with a cart
around the furniture section. I asked you where the calenders might be. I
only got a glance at your nametag but I think your name starts with an A.
You are way out of my league but I just wanted to tell you that I think you
are really cute! You probably get that a lot but I figured I would say it
anyway. I hope I see you again sometime!

Way To Go Spokane!

Posted on Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I am so proud of my city for passing the library levy.

RE: Thanks For Hope, Change

Posted on Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Spokesman Review Op/Ed 02/18/13. Dear Mr. Stanley Carpenter, I would have
responded directly to the Spokesman, but really all I have to say is "You
are so welcome!", and I agree with all you stated. Although there is still
so much wrong being done within the political process I too believe that
the current political climate is due to many, many level headed humans who
believe that there is hope, for change. Level headed thinking is the only
way to get things done, but unfortunatly most of the conservatives who are
fanatical and unreasonable think that they are being level headed and that
it is us who are blinded and wrong. Anyway, there is just too much to say
and all I really wanted to do is to thank you too! From a very like minded
and hopeful human, L.Parker

Good Job

Posted on Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Para-transit guy. Cheers to you on turning 62? Clyde

A Million Thanks

Posted on Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

To those who know the true meaning of friendship: For your dedication
during the times of struggle. For always lending a helping hand without
keeping tabs on when you will get re-payed. For those who don't have to
pick sides and can see the whole truth. For the security within yourselves
that allows others in your life to be free. To the ones who would stand up
if harsh words were spoken against your loved one. For those who can listen
with an open mind and heart never to throw what has been shared back in the
face of the one who trusted you. For those who say "I love you" and
actually mean it. Cheers.

Silly Boys

Posted on Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

in blue truck at Nine Mile ORV on February 18th, you stole our mud puddle!
Next time find your own, from the hot girls in the black Jeep. Next time if
you really want to impress us, try to keep up

Service Animal

Posted on Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Hello, everyone at SCC, I am the guy that you have seen walking around
campus with my little black Shih Tzu Service animal, his name is Blake.
Feel free to say hello to us both as we go thru our days together on campus.

You Are Amazing

Posted on Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

You're beautiful, ever so sexy, lovely, amazing, spectacular, thoughtful, a
great mother, an amazing lover, and a big part of my future. I thank you
for dealing with my SH&! as much as you do. I can't wait to get married and
have more babies. You amaze me everyday. I could never say in any words how
much you mean to me. Thanks for being amazing babe. I love you Jess. Ben

Today | Sat | Sun | Mon | Tue | Wed | Thu
Young Man In A Hurry: The Life of Isaac Stevens

Young Man In A Hurry: The Life of Isaac Stevens @ Spokane Valley Heritage Museum

Wednesdays-Saturdays, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Continues through May 28