• Issue Archive for
  • Jan 27 - Feb 2, 2005
  • Vol. 12, No. 15

News & Comment

  • Domestic Case Study No. 1

    Name: Ben Bradley Age: 32 By day: Barista at the Shop, drummer His weakness: He's likes to dabble in the natural stuff -- particularly the veggies from his backyard garden. How he got the habit: "For the first two years that I lived there,
  • Wanna Be Domestic?

    BOOKS Get Crafty: Hip Home Ec by Jean Railla (Broadway Books) If you could distill all the elements of the domestic revolution into one book, this would be it. Railla shares her thoughts on feminism, divulges the details of her misspent yo
  • Buzz Bin

    Uncle Oscar's Surprises -- If you didn't get up at 5:30 am on Tuesday, you missed Adrien Brody joining the elderly Academy president onstage and breaking out the Binaca before feinting a kiss at the geezer. It's still a wide-open Oscar
  • Toy Stories

    Imagine for a moment what a future museum curator will see in today's Gameboys, gangsta wear and Harry Potter. And before you give Tomorrow's Leaders too much of a bad rap, think back on the toys and clothing of your own childhood. Uh-hu
  • Book Review

    by Kirsten Sundberg Lunstrom by Cara Gardner Choosing a new book is a tactile process for me, a form of meditation. I touch bindings, scan covers, leaf through pages. Invariably I find myself returning to a certain shelf again and a
  • The New Domestic Index

    Knitting Needlework created by interlacing yarn in a series of connected loops using straight eyeless needles or by machine In 1950, knitting was generally an activity reserved for making things that people should never, ever wear -- like t
  • Auto Artistry

    Artistic talent is an innate part of the human experience. Still, about 90 percent of people can only dabble -- they just don't have this fabled and elusive talent of the arts. For the other 10 percent, however, the world is their canvas --
  • Mild/Wild West

    We all have them -- the family member or friend who's responsible and well-dressed, who gets along so well with other people, the one who's made it. Yet secretly, Mr. Stylish-and-Stable envies anybody who lives carefree, unburdened by meet
  • Recently Reviewed

    Anthony's Homeport -- Anthony's has brought its Seattle style to Spokane, settling into one of the best spots in town, the former Salty's above the Spokane Falls. Seafood and freshwater fish dominate the menu. The $23 Northwest Duet (wil
  • Adam and Heave

    Gonzaga basketball star Adam Morrison deals with a serious, potentially fatal disease every day of his life. Of course, it's hard to tell what causes Morrison more pain: The insulin shots he occasionally takes during games, or the verbal
  • Domestic Case Study No. 3

    Name: Miranda Hale Age: 26 By day: Adjunct English professor at North Idaho College, indie-music nerd, Inlander contributor What gets her motor running: DIY, that's do-it-yourself for all you consumerists out there. Her main focus: The Ple
  • A Place of Their Own

    Some spaces don't seem to be able to hold onto a restaurant. You know the ones that seem to have a fairly regular parade of new owners. Such is the case with the somewhat hidden space in the rear lower story of a strip mall on 29th Av
  • Quotes & amp;amp; Notes

    Oh, Now We Feel Better -- "The Iraqis will be ... will be just fine." -- Secretary of State nominee Condoleezza Rice, as quoted by the Associated Press on Jan. 23 about the upcoming elections Time To Pony Up -- In a new poll commissione
  • Domestic Case Study No. 2

    Name: Ingrid Feinstein Age: 26 By day: Manager, A Grand Yarn on 14th Ave. and Grand Blvd. Her weakness: She's a slave to the needles -- the knitting needles. How she got addicted: "When I was living in Boston and I was working in publishing
  • Opening Films

    Alone in the Dark -- Getting over that a place is actually called "Shadow Island" is just one of the many suspensions of disbelief you might need in order to enjoy this sci-fi/supernatural thriller. Christian Slater plays an X-Files-ish
  • Routes Still A-Changing

    The bus has been Spokane resident Maggie Dunne's sole source of transportation for more than 10 years. During that period, she's seen too many routes disappear. "For me, it was [a choice between] a car or a retirement fund. I parked my ca
  • In Brief

    Digging Down Deep -- POST FALLS, Idaho -- The Spokane Valley-Rathdrum Prairie aquifer seems to be on everybody's minds these days, what with that heinous (but predictable) spill at the Burlington Northern Santa Fe refueling d
  • Sound Advice

    Crue Update -- In our last episode, we reported that some Motley Crue fans, expecting to find all seats priced at $39.50, were surprised to learn that some of the best seats were actually selling for $65.50. Well, according to Molly King,

Culture & Food


Recent Comments

© 2014 Inlander
Website powered by Foundation