America's best read urban weekly | Learn More »
If only George and the rest of his party were blessed with the gift of introspection. The reason that the top nominees for president on the right are such nightmares has little to do with Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton and plenty to do with the Southern strategy type pandering to the worst elements of our nature that the Republicans have been doing for as long as I have been alive. George cannot be as myopic as he seems here to question how the doq whistle attacks that have been the hallmark of his party for the last several cycles are now voiced in full throat by his nominee. You built this, George.
I reject the notion that opening a door for a lady is an assertion of male dominance.
Interesting. Once again, we get it- you don't like the president. Once again, your twisted logic may pass the low information voter threshold, but the facts don't match the rhetoric.
You are saying that an author questioned why balanced budgets are suddenly so important to you, 6 years after your party (represented in the House for E. Washington by one George Nethercutt) decided the Clinton surpluses were a bad thing and reintroduced deficit spending to the national economic equation? How dare he! But the gap in logic that this was somehow the President not being held accountable is easily seen by any but the least informed.
Where is your accountability, sir? Where is that of your party? You have done nothing but push the country toward economic ruin for 12 years. In an effort to overturn the last to presidential elections, any work on the Hill has ground to a halt. It is embarrassing.
Disagree with the president, but lead, follow or get out of the way.
How does one defend oneself with a pistol without harming a human being? Is it not loaded? Do you use it to parry away incoming fire? That argument is inane. A handgun is absolutely designed and used to kill human beings. One could make the argument that one has the right to kill "bad" human beings and that argument is persuasive enough to enact laws such as this, but let's not kid ourselves about the purpose of carrying a firearm. When used correctly in the situation it is designed for, it ends a human life.
1. "Republicans must show that they can lead the United States to progress" was that supposed to be funny?
2. Obamacare is on pace to sustain itself just fine. What is embarrassing is the House wasting time and money voting to repeal it every five minutes and phony news agencies presenting provably false cases of people adversely affected by it as fact. I have waited 6 years to see a single Republican idea that is better than Obamacare. You can actually replace a law without repealing it.
3. The Republicans cannot win by demonizing the lower middle and lower classes of workers that their policies of the early millennium created. Wage stagnation is real and needs to be addressed. Fewer and fewer people believe they are temporarily embarrassed millionaires these days.
4. I don't see how you frame cutting food stamps in humane terms. The vast majority of the working poor are not on government assistance because they want to be.
5. I agree with the fact that offering themselves up as "not Democrats" won't work. It only took a few election cycles to realize this.
If Republicans really wanted to win, they could:
1. Put forth a solid economic plan to fix the problems in this country, not the magical "tax cut/ don't spend" solution to every problem. First, we are starting to realize that tax cuts aren't geared toward the majority of us and secondly, like hell you won't spend.
2. If they have a better healthcare plan, announce it. If not, stop wasting time trying to scare us about Obamacare or undermining it.
3. Come up with something, anything, other than trickle down economics. It doesn't work. It has never worked. It will never work.
4. Quit attacking the poor as layabouts in need of a handout. Recognize that someone dying of hunger in our country is a bad thing. Quit attacking women and gays. Those tactics may win you rural Murca, but you are embarrassing yourselves and this country.
5. Recognize that immigrants are people, not pawns to be used to recruit racist voters. This issue can be handled properly if we can keep from yelling "they terker jerrrrrrr!" for cheap political points.
Website powered by Foundation