A desert island of my very own. The sun, the spray, the bugs, the lack of adequate electrical power sources. Thank goodness I spent all those hours as a kid studying the work of the Professor on Gilligan's Island. Anyway, here are five discs that I'd be stuck with if I were to be stranded right this second.
1. The Reverend Horton Heat: Spend a Night in the Box. The sly reference to Cool Hand Luke in the title is only a taste of the pleasures found within. The Rev cuts down on the camp a little, but still manages to provide the juice.
2. Bottom: Made in Voyage. Is it really so weird that this all-chick trio from NYC aspires to take Black Sabbath riffs where they've never been before? Naww...They pretty much shatter what's left of the gender barrier with this one.
3. Alien Crime Syndicate: From the Word Go. Nothing too ground-shattering here. Just good, silly fun. "Take Me To Your Leader" is a trip.
4. Queens of the Stone Age: Rated R. Well, these lovely lads sure know how to have a good time. Most of this stuff is your basic fuzzy-headed stoner rock. But with a twist.
5. 98 Degrees: Revelation. Where the hell did this come from? Looks like four cutesy male models formed a bloodless vocal group -- and it sounds even worse. I wonder how many times I can get it to skip...