by Howie Stalwick
If you know who played third base for the 1960 Spokane Indians, who coached Washington State in its first Rose Bowl and who started at pointguard ahead of John Stockton his freshman year at Gonzaga, you ... need to get a life.
On the other hand, you're also the type of person who will love, cherish and adore The Inlander's first, last and only Inland Northwest Sports Trivia Quiz. Even if you're not a certified sports nut -- and we put heavy emphasis on the "nut" if you can correctly answer more than half the questions below -- we think you'll find the quiz infinitely more fun than a kick in the pants, quite enlightening and, if all else fails, educational. Answers are listed on page 42.
Oh, and if that opening sentence is just driving you crazy, the answers are: Ramon Conde, Lone Star Dietz and Don Baldwin. But you probably knew that already.
1) He led Whitworth to the 1960 NAIA baseball championship and pitched a no-hitter for the 1968 St. Louis Cardinals.
2) This Sandpoint native started at offensive guard on all five Green Bay NFL championship teams of the 1960s.
3) Hockey Hall of Famer Lester Patrick was player-coach on the Inland Empire's only major league sports franchise in 1916-17. Name the team.
4) In 1996, she became the only first-team volleyball All-American in Washington State history.
5) Name Gonzaga's only NCAA basketball scoring champion, who averaged 32.4 points in 1960-61.
6) After setting national high school distance-running records at Rogers High School and winning six NCAA track titles at Washington State, how many Olympic medals did Gerry Lindgren win?
7) In 2001, this former Pullman High School golfer finished in the top 10 in all three majors that he entered.
8) A former Washington State football player, he escaped from so many German prisons during World War II that he inspired the Steve McQueen movie "Cooler King."
9) One of the all-time greats of the Spokane Indians, he set a World Series record by making three errors in one inning to spoil Sandy Koufax's final game as a major league pitcher.
10) Starting with slowpitch and crossing over into fastpitch, this high school won 13 consecutive Idaho state softball titles from 1982-94.
11) True or false: Washington State, Idaho and Gonzaga won national team boxing championships when the sport was offered by the NCAA.
12) Lakeside High School boys basketball coach Ron Cox is the all-time leading basketball scorer at which area college?
13) Name the former Gonzaga University star who was the last man to start at shortstop for the Baltimore Orioles before Cal Ripken Jr. began his record string of consecutive games played.
14) This Lewis and Clark High School graduate won the Indianapolis 500 in 1983.
15) He's the only North Idaho high school grad to play major league baseball.
16) The only North Idaho College product ever to reach the major leagues in any sport, he drove in eight runs in one game this season for the Pittsburgh Pirates.
17) This former all-pro quarterback with the Oakland Raiders once played semipro football for the Spokane Shockers.
18) After serving as head men's basketball coach at Spokane Falls Community College, he later became an assistant coach on the Seattle SuperSonics.
19) Name the former Washington State baseball star who led the American League with a .363 batting average for the world champion Toronto Blue Jays in 1993.
20) Name the Moscow High School product who became an All-American at Texas and played on the 1988 U.S. Olympic gold medal women's basketball team.
21) The Spokane Chiefs hockey franchise moved from which city in 1985?
22) He played goalie for Gonzaga when the Bulldogs briefly played major college hockey, won the NHL's rookie of the year award in 1945 on the Stanley Cup champion Toronto Maple Leafs, then retired a year later due to ulcers.
23) True or false: Wrestling, men's gymnastics and women's field hockey were once official intercollegiate sports at Washington State.
24) The most decorated athlete in Purdue University track and field history, this Coeur d'Alene High School graduate won the 1996 NCAA heptathlon and later played college and pro basketball.
25) Name the former Washington State baseball and basketball star who is the only player to win World Series and NBA championship
Answers: 1) Ray Washburn 2) Jerry Kramer 3) Spokane Canaries 4) Sarah Silvernail 5) Frank Burgess 6) None 7) Kirk Triplett 8) Jerry Sage 9) Willie Davis 10) Coeur d'Alene 11) True 12) Eastern Washington 13) Lenn Sakata 14) Tom Sneva 15) Current Toronto Blue Jays designated hitter Josh Phelps, a graduate of Rathdrum's Lakeland High School 16) Former Gonzaga University star Jason Bay 17) Kenny Stabler 18) Current Pacific Lutheran University coach Dave Harshman 19) Current Seattle Mariners first baseman John Olerud 20) Andrea Lloyd 21) Kelowna, British Columbia 22) Frank McCool 23) True 24) Corissa Yasen 25) Gene Conley
Publication date: 10/16/03