Thursday, February 7, 2013
So, we're at the Gonzaga basketball game tonight. We're writing a big piece about the team and you can read it next month.
But sitting here for the last hour or so as the Gonzaga and opponent Pepperdine get warmed up, here are some observations about a pregame at the Kennel for those of you who haven't had a chance to experience it.
1. The students get here early. Like, really early. They weren't camping out this time, but with an hour before tip off, there were at least a couple hundred Kennel Club members filling their section. Here was the scene...still an hour before the game.
2. The band is hip. They started off with a dead-on instrumental take on Mackelmore and Ryan Lewis' "Thrift Shop." 'Twas quite impressive.
3. There's a stadium-wide prayer. You'd be forgiven for thinking there was just a guy in a black suit standing at mid court, but he's actually a priest.
4. More players on GU can dunk than you think. David Stockton? Almost.
5. The student body's coordinated dance to "Zombie Nation" is as delightfully obnoxious (and awesome) as you've heard. The PA system was on the fritz for the begging of the game, but was revived just in time for the below insanity.