It's Fat Tuesday, the official kickoff for Mardi Gras season, and while we're obviously nowhere near the Louisiana Bayou, you can get at least a little of that traditional flavor going here in the Inland Northwest. Here are a few options for your celebratory consideration:
• While not strictly a Fat Tuesday thing, a little jazz music seems appropriate, and you can catch An Evening of Jazz from the Ferris High School jazz bands at Central Lutheran Church tonight for free.
• Zola is celebrating Fat Tuesday with a show featuring their regular Tuesday entertainment, The Bucket List.
• Celtic and Cajun tunes share some musical heritage, and if you're in Coeur d'Alene tonight, check out Arvid Lundin and Deep Roots at Kelly's Irish Pub. I'm sure there will be a Mardi Gras spirit to go with the Guinness.
• Litz's Bar is having a Mardi Gras party featuring the band VooDoo Church, along with housemade gumbo, jambalaya and red beans and rice all day. This sounds like the place to be to me.
• Bon Bon in the Garland is having jazz tunes all night and a special cocktail menu full of Mardi Gras faves and fancy drinks.
• No-Li Brewhouse is hosting a Fat Brewsday Tuesday, and is serving up a special Cherry Cordial quaff from 5:30-7:30 pm.
• Yelp Spokane is hosting a Mardi Gras Happy Hour at the new Bartlett bar, featuring a French 75 cocktail, daiquiris and Cajun-spiced popcorn. The fun starts at 5 pm, and you can stick around for the Bartlett's Open Mic night afterward.
Know of any more Fat Tuesday events around town? Help your fellow party-seekers out and throw them in the comments! Now here's some tunes to get you in the mood:
Dan Nailen is the managing editor of the Inlander, where he oversees coverage of arts and culture. He's previously written and edited for The Salt Lake Tribune, Salt Lake City Weekly, Missoula Independent, Salt Lake Magazine, The Oregonian and KUER-FM. He grew up seeing the country in an Air Force family and studied...